Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Jaw Journey Day 1

September 20 was a lovely day. Probably one of the worst I've ever had. Yep it was that bad. But there were some good things about it. The first was my lovely husband was able to give me a priesthood blessing the night before and in it he told me that the surgeon that I had selected was the right surgeon and his hands would be guided and everything would go really well ( that was a big relief). He also told me that this would be an uncomfortable experience and there would be many people who would be willing to help serve me and my family and I needed to let them because they needed the blessings. The last thing that stood out to me was that although my surgery will correct some very functional things it will also be a great stepping stone in gaining the self confidence and and self esteem that I have lacked and so desperately wanted for so many years. For the past year I have been consumed with getting this surgery and how I will look, but in the blessing I was told that after I am healed it will be time for me to forget thinking about myself and go and serve others.

So my day started with arriving at the hospital at 5:30 am and checking in. They took some tests and concluded that I was not pregnant and that my white blood cell count was low because I had been fighting a sore throat. I changed into a lovely gown and had a nice chat with my surgeon and other hospital staff then I gave my glasses to Trent, started to cry ( I'm a very emotional person) and they wheeled me off to the operating room. The rest of the day was honestly a blur. I remember Trent telling me that the nurses had kept him updated during the 5 hour surgery and the surgeon had told him everything went extremely well with no complications. I also remember Trent feeding me little squirts of water and juice out of a syringe and how hard it was to swallow because my throat hurt SO bad! I guess during the surgery I had a tube inserted in one nostril that went down into my stomach to suck up blood and another tube in the other nostril to help me breathe.
Then the fun really started. When I was in 6th grade I had my tonsils out and had a hard time getting enough food in my stomach before I took my pain medicine and the result was I threw up. I had the same problem now. I was hooked up to an IV for pain, but because I couldn't really eat anything I started throwing up. Now I don't enjoy throwing up, but I was prepared that this might happen because of the anesthesia and blood draining into my stomach so to just let it happen, and so I did. But it kept happening and especially after I had a dose of pain medicine. It was one of the worst experiences throwing up blood with my mouth banded shut and having my jaw broken in at least 4 places. Oh and my nose would also start bleeding really bad every time tried to get up making it harder to breath. I thought that a person loses all of their dignity with childbirth, but I would have to say that jaw surgery is worse. It was TERRIBLE! And it was obvious that the nursing staff felt so sorry for me as well, BUT obviously I survived. Because I am able to blog! Now most of you know that I love my doTERRA essential oils and so obviously I didn't forget them here. Before surgery I had done tons and tons of research and had been taking Frankincense in a capsule the week before as well as rubbing it on my gums where the surgeon was going to be cutting. The day of surgery when I wasn't able to take the medicine without vomiting, the only relief I got was from my oils. I had made a roll on of Frankincense (for inflammation) Breathe (to obviously help me breathe), and peppermint and lavender for swelling. So those definitely helped me survive, but I was also lucky enough to have my sweet dad come and give me a fathers blessing and after that I knew I would be ok.

No comments: